Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Falalalala...la la...la...laaaaa

Every Christmas season for the past several years now, I kind of get a little down because I know that my Christmas wont be like most other peoples'. Usually my Christmases have involved opening my dad's presents to me at his house, then driving to my brother's and watching his family opening presents. Sometimes I'll spend the night at my brother's while my dad drives back to SLC to go to some party his friends are having or something. It's not that I have any complaints about it, I just know that it's not the normal...thing. It's not a huge family deal with lots of relatives and food and traditions and presents. So it always made me a little sad to hear about everyone else's Christmases and how, well, normal they were.
This year, however, is different. This year I'm spending Christmas with James' family. And, from what James has told me, they have some pretty long-standing Christmas traditions. Now, call me old fashioned, but I have always wanted to have a Christmas surrounded by a big family with a bunch of cool traditions. I love traditions. For example: James' dad passed away 12 years ago in early December. Today, I asked him and his brother why there were apple and strawberry ornaments on their Christmas tree. His brother told me that, after their dad passed away, some people came and put up a tree in their house and decorated it like that. They've decorated it the same way every year since. It's a little heartbreaking, but I think it's also very sweet. I am so honored and excited to be spending this Christmas with this big, loving, happy, fun, funny family.
At the same time, there are also things that happen every Christmas season that break me out of my pity party and make me remember what the season is about. What every season should be about: Love. I have always been surrounded by so much love. Whether it's friends or family, I've always had so many people that I love and who love me. There have always been so many people who have been so kind to both me and my mom. It's often the only reason we've gotten through difficult times. Last year, one of my friends brought my mom flowers for Christmas. This year another friend brought her a very generous and thoughtful gift. I've had other friends that will call my mom on Christmas to wish her well, because they know that I'm out of town and she misses me. No matter how untraditional my Christmases have been, I have always been reminded of my greatest blessing and gift: Love. I have the most wonderful and extraordinary people in my life, and that will always be the best gift I could ever ask for.
So, to all of my friends who have been so wonderful to both me and my mom over the years: Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and have a wonderful Holiday :)

No comments: